Thursday, February 19, 2009

There's Vomit EVERYWHERE!

Oh my freakin' God! It's one of my worst nightmares come to life! The twins both have a stomach flu and I haven't done so much steady laundry in years! On Sunday, we (my sister, my nephew, my dad, me and the twins) went to Denny's to celebrate my sister's birthday. It was a great time; the kids were pretty good and we even got a free dessert from another patron because I helped him with some paperwork he brought but couldn't read because he forgot his glasses. Two days later, not such a great time. It started Tuesday morning. Tabitha started throwing up in the morning, after breakfast. I should have known something was wrong when she didn't eat her pancakes which she usually eats with gusto. Tommy finished hers off. Then she didn't finish her morning bottle. Little clues for the clueless. Then right after I changed her after breakfast it was the Niagara Falls of vomit. All over the kid's room. Oh, the stink! Rinse and repeat with the mid morning snack. All over me, and her room. I think I had worn that outfit all of 20 minutes before having to change. No more milk for her. Tommy so far was fine. Then, that evening Tommy started in on the fun. More laundry. Lots of towels. Now, both kids are on a clear liquid diet plus crackers. All day yesterday, all day today. This they keep down. I won't mention the horrible mess in the diapers. As of tonight, Tabitha seemed O.K., Tommy couldn't keep his supper down. Ugh, more hosing off the couch cushions. At least they settle down fast for sleep. I'm worried about dehydration but since they keep some down I think that part is O.K. but I'm definitely keeping watch. I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm really hoping Tabitha has gotten over it, but since Tommy started about 12 hours later I figure his will last about that long after Tabby is better. I will tell you, twin toddlers vomiting without notice where ever they may be is NOT cool. It's a first for them so I hope I can go another two years before it happens again. By that time I can reason with them to stay put and use the provided receptacle if they feel they need it. And then they could actually tell me how they feel, all I can do is guess right now and that just sucks.

Aside from that little crisis, Tabitha's language skills are improving and it's obvious both of them are understanding a lot of what I am telling them. I think they choose not to listen to some things, like don't touch the T.V. buttons and don't climb up on the table. Most of the other stuff I have baby-proofed like the cabinets, drawers and the oven. Tabitha has figured out how to open doors so now I have those doorknob covers on all the important doors. I have had to reverse the knobs on the accordion closet doors I don't want the babies to get into. They have a magnetic attraction to go outside so I have been very militant about always locking the back sliding glass door which they also recently figured out how to open if it is unlocked. That drives my hubby crazy since I am so automatic about it I often lock him out after the babies have gone to bed and he is out back grilling dinner. I trained myself to do that long before they figured it out just to have one less thing to generally worry about. I can't wait for life to get back to what I call normal.

My hubby is starting a new job today with another security company. Mike at PES (his old company) won't let him actually quit and told him that he would work around his new schedule. They really don't want to lose him, but what can Andy do when they are only scheduling him 18 hours a week? Also Andy heard from another company he applied to so he is going there for an interview tomorrow. I think Andy would work at all three companies if he could swing it, but I really don't think that would be feasible. His new job he started today is a dollar less an hour, but it is full time. If he can get a day or two from PES to round that out we would be O.K. If the company he is going to interview with tomorrow hires him at full time with better hourly I hope he would go with them instead but I am sure he will make the right decision on this. He is very focused on being able to support us and I trust him to do what needs to be done. God knows I am not about to get a job and get the kids in a daycare. I just can't make enough money(high school diploma only, if I could get a 9/hour job I would be lucky) to make working actually worthwhile after paying for the childcare, and other expenses associated with me working. Not to mention I am getting far too old for that crap. I'm almost 40 with twin toddlers; I don't see how working a crap job and then taking care of the kids wouldn't put me into an early grave. They completely exhaust me just by themselves. Then there is losing a child to suicide which has given me a complex that isn't easily unraveled without serious long-term counseling not affordable at my socio-economic level. I know I am post-traumatic about it. I deal.

No comments: