Saturday, October 18, 2008

Good, Bad, & Ugly

My mom is finally back home, in Show Low. She survived her triple bypass, the post-op period spent mostly in intensive care, and her one night in a nursing home that was nightmarish. The day she was released from the Arizona Heart Hospital she needed her heart "adjusted" with electrical stimulation to fix an arrhythmia that had developed. She then shipped off to a nursing home and was assigned to a room with the room-mate from Hell. Crazy she was. Complained that my mom was keeping her up, nevermind that she wasn't even trying to rest as she was sitting up watching t.v. at a tremendous volume and her oxygen machine sounded like an air compressor. Then this crazy woman had nasty, explosive diarrhea all night long prompting my mom to then become violently ill from the smell for hours. By 6 am she called and begged my dad to come and get her. My mom finally had a decent nights sleep last night on my hide-a-bed in the livingroom. For the first time since she was admitted for her surgery there was no nurses or orderlies waking her up at all hours for stats and blood samples. She is weak, but she also seems much better than before the surgery. Right now she has scheduled dialysis treatment but hopefully that can be phased out as she gets stronger. The kids are fine, and I finally finished the digging part of getting my garden ready. I would definitely call this the good part of my little ole diary.
The bad is we are poor, and getting poorer since my hubby isn't getting enough hours at work right now. He is a security guard and right now there are just not enough hours. He really needs to work 60 hours a week to have enough to support us, and he is barely getting 40. This blog is one of the things I have done to try to generate some extra money, and I hope visitors have been clicking on the Google links for me; that would greatly help. Financing our basic bills on the credit card is not going to work forever, but hopefully he will get more hours as the weather cools and there are more events for the company to be hired for.
I'm afraid that the ugly is really ugly. My mother-in-law has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has been told she has about 3 months to live. She is such a wonderful woman and this news has just devastated everyone. We are going to see her tomorrow with the babies of course right after hubby gets a new battery for my car. I don't even know what else to say. I'm still digesting this emotionally. I honestly haven't even finished grieving the loss of my daughter 2 1/2 years ago to suicide; she was 13. I still really miss her very very much. Right now, I suppose we shall see what we shall see about how long she has, but I believe it is more than 3 months. Hubby will be devastated, that I know. He is pushing aside his emotions right now so he can focus on the tasks at hand like I am, but I know tomorrow is going to be very emotional.

No comments: