Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yay, my garden is growing!

It's been about a week since I sprinkled the seeds, and I finally have some seedlings poking their new leaves above the soil. Notwithstanding the frequent trampling by the kids I am thrilled to see the start of germination. I can't identify what they are going to be yet since it was a wildflower mix of seeds, but I am sure none of the bachelor buttons or marigolds have yet germinated. I have hope that I am going to get something growing out there now that I have something. I'll have to post a picture of how it looks now, and then post periodic updates as it grows. It makes me pretty darn happy!
On an unrelated note, the kids both came down with colds as usual after Megan watches the kids. I needed her to watch them while I went to the doctor last week for my tri-monthly depo-prevara shot. I am sure it is just a thing about not exposing the kids to much since I keep them home most of the time and Megan has a pretty active social life and a baby niece at home she helps take care of. Funny, the last time the baby, Mariah, was with my kids, all the babies came down with a cold. My kids gave her something, and she gave mine something. Not a big deal, but I get real tired of wiping snotty noses when the twins get a cold. Tommy came down with it later than Tabitha, but Tabitha is not showing any signs hers is going to be over with any time soon. Meanwhile, they are both extra cranky and clingier than usual. I think I am trying to fight it off myself as I have been achy and sneezy and a lot more tired than usual.
My last thing for tonight, I have a Christmas project I need to finish tonight. Last year, I bought an advent calender from my local thrift store. It was exactly what I was looking for as a little thing to do with the kids counting down the days til Christmas. It is a 3-D tree made of two interlocking cut-outs. The sides have circles cut out with tiny jump rings hanging on them that you attach a tiny ornament to each day as you count down to Christmas. It fits into a base which can be wound up and plays "O Christmas Tree" fittingly enough. And the base also has 6 little numbered doors on each side that houses each ornament to be hung on the tree. The only problem is that it came with no tiny ornaments to hang, so I have been collecting for two years now tiny ornaments and now I have to fashion teeny tiny hooks and attach these ornaments to them so they can be hung on the tree. I also have to fabricate the star for the top, which I assume is supposed to be the one for day 24 since there are only 23 circles cut out on the tree, and on the top is a hole that seems to be for a topper. This little project wasn't a priority to be done, but this next Christmas in 2009 the kids will be almost three and old enough to participate in such a nice little daily ritual. I refuse to put away the Christmas stuff until this is done as added incentive. When I finish this little project, hopefully tonight, I will post a picture on my next entry so you all can see what I mean about how cute it is. Then I can start making some Valentines Day jewelry for my sister to sell before it is too late. I already have an idea or two....

No comments: